Welcome to the Pre-K Houston COVID-19 Safety Page! Here you can find information about COVID-19 safety in our district’s pre-K classrooms, superintendent updates and resources for parents to find active cases within each district. We want you to feel safe and supported when going back to school—and that starts here.
Your Safety Is Important.
Many teachers and staff throughout all of our partner districts in Harris County returned to in-person learning in August 2021. Although staff may be fully vaccinated, all schools will still be taking important safety measures.
- Children can be infected, but they are less likely to be infected. They can also spread the virus to others, including adult family members. Although fewer children have been sick with COVID-19 in comparison to adults—children can still contract the virus (especially those with a history of medical conditions). Most children who contract COVID-19 have mild, flu-like symptoms.
- Since the symptoms of COVID-19 for kids are less, if the adults in the home are vaccinated, the risk is even lower. Children are not the drivers of COVID-19, and people between the ages of 20 and 30 have been seen to spark outbreaks in adults and children.
- Children aren’t the “super spreaders” of COVID-19. The possibility of a child contracting the virus and spreading it to several people at school and at home has not yet happened.
- The benefits of child care programs could outweigh the risks, according to the CDC. Child care programs:
- Support children’s social-emotional, behavioral and mental health
- Foster early learning development
- Serve children in need through nutrition programs, special education services and after-school programs, and
- Support parents with reliable and safe care so they can return to work
All of our Pre-K Houston participating districts have implemented COVID-19 updates (updated weekly) for parents to shift through all active COVID-19 cases of staff and students throughout schools and facilities. Each page has their individual safety and prevention guidelines as well as several health resources for students and parents. Click on the districts below to find all COVID-19 safety correspondences.
Disclaimer + Contact
Our COVID-19 Safety page is updated on an as-needed basis to reflect the real-time changes within each district’s COVID-19 safety guidelines in classrooms and schools. If you have any questions, comments or concerns—please send an email to PreKHouston@goodreasonhouston.org.